Online Crisis Support FAQ
Why does my chat keeps on dropping out and why do I have to sign in again?
The most common reason for this is the use of mobile devices (eg. Phone, Tablet). Some strategies to make chatting easier while using mobile devices have been listed below:
- Your internet connection/reception matters, as this will guarantee better connectivity to the Internet. You could try moving to an area of the house that has better reception (eg. closer to the router or perhaps closer to the window)
- Mobile phones/ iPads will automatically adjust mobile signal power to use the least amount of battery power as possible. If possible, ensure you are plugged into a charger whilst using your device..
- Since online crisis support is run through an Internet browser, try shutting down any unused applications to free up some memory/processing power on your device.
- One of the common causes of a slow device, is that it has been running for a long time. A quick restart of the device may help.
Our recommendations are:
- Use a personal and secure wifi network to connect to the Internet
- Connect to Online Crisis Support Chat from an area with higher quality mobile phone reception
- Install the latest security & system updates on your device (Android/iOS/PC/Mac)
The Online Crisis Support Chat supports the following browsers:
The following will be required to run this service on your device:
I am unable to join the Online Crisis Support chat on an Apple Mac desktop or laptop (Firefox/Chrome/Safari)
If you see the following on your desktop/laptop Mac:
Ensure that under the Show scroll bars section (System Settings > General) any of these options are selected:
- When scrolling
The survey should now appear correctly with the scroll bars:
- Connecting through a VPN service might inhibit the chat service from being accessible for your device.
- Our recommendation would be to not access the service through a VPN.
- Please be aware that your communication with our service is encrypted, regardless of you using a VPN or not.