Community Visitors Scheme
Lifeline Tasmania provides two programs specifically for older people, to increase their connectedness to the community:
- The Community Visitors Scheme is for people living at home who are a recipient of a Home Care Package and for people living in aged care homes in Southern Tasmania.
- Chats is a state-wide program for people aged 60 and over who are living independently at home. For more information on Chats, click here.
The Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) is a national program funded by the Department of Health.
It aims to enrich the quality of life of older people in Southern Tasmania:
- Living in the community, who are recipients of a Home Care Package to help extend the time they can remain living in their home independently.
- Aged care residents who are socially isolated or lonely and would benefit from a friendly visitor.
- Residents of aged care homes who would benefit from Group Visits, which can be spent undertaking activities they enjoy.
CVS also works to establish links between residents living in aged care homes and their local community to ensure that they continue to live a full and vibrant life.
Our Community Visitors are volunteers who have been carefully matched with older people and who are committed to meeting with them weekly or at least once a fortnight.
All of our Community Visitors have been screened and trained and participate in one of three ways:
- One-to-one visits in residential aged care homes; or
- Group visits in residential aged care homes (visiting two or more residents at the same time); or
- Visiting older people living in their own home, who are receiving a Home Care Package.
Visits are spent doing the things that the older person most enjoys, like reading, listening to music, watching a favourite TV show or just chatting and reminiscing. Activities may also extend to a walk or an outing, subject to the health and mobility of the person being visited.
Additional information is contained in our Community Visitors Scheme Brochure which can be downloaded by clicking here.
If you would like to speak to someone about participating in our Community Visitors Scheme, you can contact the following people:
For Home Care visits and Residential Aged Care Group visits:
Lib Cooper (03) 6282 1515
For one-to-one visits in Residential Aged Care:
Sally Steffan on (03) 6282 1557